Wednesday, November 12, 2014

REVIEW: Endgame by Dee Davis #Romance #Suspense

Title: Endgame
Author: Dee Davis
Rating: 4.5 stars

Years ago I used to read a lot of romantic suspense. It was my go to in romance. During that time, I read a few of Dee Davis' books and remember liking them. Then, this past summer I ran into Dee Davis at a conference. It was after we'd both just finished signing and she was walking by my table. I saw her badge and said, "I've read you." She smiled, and responded that hearing that never got old. We chatted for a few minutes and at the time I wished I would have had one of her books with me so that she could have signed it. That's why when I saw Endgame come across my timeline, I hopped over to Amazon and downloaded it.

Endgame is a romantic suspense that will have you trying to figure out who done it. 

I enjoyed this story. Madison gets recruited by her godfather to help head a team that has been tasked to investigate a series of deaths. She finds out that she has to share her leadership role with Gabriel, a CIA operative who is used to working alone. It was obvious that these two would be the love interests of the story, but I was unsure how the author was going to make it happen. Both were likable characters, but they came from very different backgrounds.

The suspense was also well done. There were lots of twists and turns to keep readers guessing and trying to figure out who was behind the murders. A red herring was thrown into the mix as well. I wasn't fooled, however. I knew it couldn't be so obvious and that there was something else at work. 

While reading this story, I was reminded of why I don't read romantic suspense very much anymore. It has nothing to do with the author or the story itself. This is one of those cases where 'it's not you, it's me' applies. Over the years I've discovered that I really enjoy seeing the interaction between the couple and getting a step-by-step progression of their relationship. In romantic suspense, there are too many other things going on that draw attention away from the couple. It's almost as if the mystery/suspense is the main driving force and the romance is a sub plot. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't what I'm personally looking for when I read a romance. 

That being said, if you like romantic suspense, I highly recommend Endgame. 


Amazon
B&N



Author Bio



Award winning author Dee Davis worked in association management before turning her had to writing. Her highly acclaimed first novel, Everything In Its Time, was published in July 2000. Since then, among others, she’s won the Booksellers Best, Golden Leaf, Texas Gold and Prism awards, and been nominated for the National Readers Choice Award, the Holt and two RT Reviewers Choice Awards. To date, she is the author of twenty-two books and five novellas, including her current A-Tac series and Chain Reaction. When not sitting at the computer, Dee spends time exploring Connecticut with her husband, daughter, and Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment