Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas


Tomorrow is Christmas for those of us who celebrate. It's a time when most of us gather with our families, open gifts, and hopefully reflect on what it all represents.

When my grandparents were still alive the entire family used to assemble at their house for a big lunch on Christmas Day. Everyone would bring a couple of side dishes. Grandma would make her homemade chicken and noodles, mac and cheese, and buckeyes. We'd even set up saw horses in my grandparent's living room and lay sheets of plywood on top to make a large table everyone could sit around. I remember those times fondly. I even remember that my one aunt and all her family was always late and we were usually starving before she showed up.

The years have passed, and times have changed. My grandparents have been gone for many years. My cousins are all grown up with kids of their own. Some of them even have grand kids. We aren't as close as we used to be. Life does that. Traditions change. Time moves on.

Although time has changed things, it doesn't mean the reason we celebrate has. I don't often talk about my faith, nor will I do that here other than to say that I am a Christian. I do celebrate Christmas. And whether you do or not shouldn't matter. Everyone can take something out of the Christmas holiday.

Peace.

Love.

Hope.

Good Will Towards Men.

Those are all things we can and should embrace. Not only during the holiday season, but throughout the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment