Monday, November 21, 2016

And Old Book Gets A New Look #officeromance

For the last couple of months I've been wrestling back and forth with what to do with my very first published novel. There is always a learning curve when it comes to writing and marketing. Back in 2010 when I published Hidden Threat I had no concept of who I was going to be as a writer. Now, after almost six years I have a better understanding of the direction I want to take my career.

In that vain, I took a hard look at my first novel. It was originally published through The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House as a romantic suspense novel. But as I've gotten to understand the industry more, I've realized it doesn't really fit in that genre.

Most romantic suspense novels focus more on the suspense and the romance is secondary to the plot. That's not what happens in my story. Sure there is plenty of suspense, but there is also lots of romance...more romance than suspense.

So what do to...

The answer was to repackage the story. Based on genre expectations, my novel isn't romantic suspense. It's contemporary office romance with suspenseful elements. Which meant it needed not only a new cover, but a new title and a new blurb.



A phone call from her father sends Cali back home to Chicago to look after the family business. Being CEO of Stanton Enterprises is never something she wanted to do, but when her father tells her she’s the only one he can trust to run the company in his absence she can’t say no.

Within hours of stepping into her father’s office she comes face-to-face with her father’s head of security, Matthew Andersen. The attraction is instantaneous and undeniable. Unfortunately, Cali can’t act on it. She’s his boss for the next three months and it wouldn’t be appropriate to cross that line.


Little does she know, fate is determined to throw them together at every turn. Someone is after her father’s company and now he’s set his sights on her. Can Matthew and Cali figure out who’s behind the threats before it’s too late and still keep things strictly professional?

No comments:

Post a Comment