Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Finding Balance


Ever since I started writing seven years ago, finding balance has been difficult. I know this is something a lot of writers struggle with and to be honest I don't think there is an easy answer. Nor is there a one-size fits all solutions. Everyone has to find what works for them and what doesn't.

In the last few weeks, I've been trying something new, and it really seems to be working for me.

Working from home, I no longer have to wake up to an alarm clock. Two weeks ago, however, all that changed. I realized that I needed to have some sort of a schedule for my life even if every now and then there was a wrench thrown in. So now my day begins at seven in the morning. I get up, log onto my computer and check all my social media, email, etc. It sounds simple enough, but it usually takes me about an hour to get through everything.

After that, my day varies depending on what needs my attention. Sometimes I'm writing. Other times I'm editing. And all too often I'm in the wood shop helping my husband with a project.

My day begins to wind down around 9pm. This is when I sit down with a book and read. Considering at that point I've been going, and for the most part working in one form or another for the last fourteen hours, it is a much needed break. I get to pull away from everything and just enjoy a book. Writing would never have happened for me if I'd not been a reader first, and I'm still a reader. I don't want to lose that.

Finding some balance over the last two weeks has been a great addition to my life. What about you? What are some of the things you've done to find balance in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment