Monday, March 7, 2022

You Must Write Everyday In Order To Be A Successful Author

PJ Fiala and I were talking all about writing myths on this week's Bound by Books Podcast. We covered eight common ones we've heard over our years of publishing.One of those myths is that if you want to be a real author, you have to write everyday. While PJ and I talk about this one on the podcast, I wanted to dive into this myth a little more today on the blog.

 

First and foremost, there is no one right way to do almost anything in this business and that includes writing. I do try to write every day, but it doesn't always happen. Life gets in the way, or I need to finish formatting a book to get it ready for publication. It could be that I just plain don't feel like it. All of these are perfectly okay reasons not to write. 


It is true if you go days without writing it can be difficult to get back into the grove again, but that isn't everyone. An author friend of mine goes months sometimes without writing, then locks herself in a room for three weeks and writes and entire book.

 

When I first started writing, I did so in the evenings before bed. I had a day job and it was the only time I had to write. Back then, when I was a bit younger and didn't start falling asleep at 10:00pm, that worked for me. Now, if I tried to stay up that late and write, I'd probably nod off before getting more than a few sentences in.

 

As time went on and I no longer had a nine to five job, my writing routine evolved. Afternoons worked better for me, so I'd set aside some time after lunch to get my writing time in. I'd spend two to three hours writing and editing before my husband came home from work.

 

That was all well and good until my husband quit his day job to work from home. Now, let me tell you, that threw a wrench into things big time.

 

Not that I don't love my husband, but I'm the type of person that needs quiet when I write. As someone who writes by the seat of their pants, I need to focus.

 

So my writing routine had to change again.

 

These days, most of my writing is done first thing in the morning. I settle in at my desk before my husband wakes up and I attempt to get my word count in for the day.

 

Will that work for everyone? No. But it works for me.

 

The biggest issue I find when I talk to other creatives-and this isn't only writers-is that they tend to be overly optimistic. Write ten thousand words a day seven days a week? Sure, no problem. Publish a book a month? No sweat.

 

 

But that isn't realistic. Even the most prolific writers I've met over the years have trouble keeping up that pace. The ones who've tried often get burnout.

 

 

One writer friend published a book a month for two years. She had built a great fan base and was making a good living. Then, she hit a wall. Complete and total writers block. And it lasted for over two years. She has now gotten back to writing, but at a slower pace.

 

It's true publishing regularly is smart business, but only you get to decide what that means to you. For me, it means publishing two books a year. I write longish books-usually between 80k-100k each.

 

 

Could I publish more? Maybe. But the pressure of that, plus the other things I have in my life outside of writing, would making creating good stories very difficult, if not impossible. And I'd rather my readers wait a little longer for a good book than to push something out that isn't up to par.

 

 

Again, that is what works for me. What works for you may be very different.

 

 

Be honest with yourself about how much you can write and how often. And then, try to stick to that.

 

 

But, here's the kicker. If you find it's just not doable, that you're feeling overwhelmed or under a lot of pressure to the point where writing isn't enjoyable anymore, then it's time to re-evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment