Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Mistletoe Magic by Melissa McClone


Title: Mistletoe Magic
Author: Melissa McClone
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Amazon

I don't recall when I downloaded Mistletoe Magic. It's nice to have holiday reads on my kindle for when I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. I finished this one a while ago, but have been so busy with other things this is the first opportunity I've had to sit down and write a review.

Mistletoe Magic is a cute holiday short for animal lovers.

First of all, I have to say that I love the cover of this book. I love cats, which those who follow me on Facebook know well. As it happens, the cover fits very well with the story. 

Without giving too much away, the story centers around two people separated by their path in life and brought back together by an abandoned kitten. The story was sweet, but very short. It also ranks very low on the heat meter. This fact didn't take away from the story for me. 

The only negative for me about this story was that I wish the author would have given us one more chapter. I felt the end, while giving that spark of hope, left us hanging. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a prequel to another book surrounding these two characters or not. I do see it's part of a larger series. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I liked this author's writing style, and will probably check out more of her books in the future. If you're looking for a short holiday read, and you love kittens, you should check this one out. 

Amazon


Author Bio


I was born in Silver Spring, Maryland, but have spent most of my life living on the West coast--California, Washington, Arizona and Oregon.

I've always been a fan of fairy tales and "happily ever afters", but I'd never read a category romance until my senior year of high school when my A.P. English teacher, Mrs. Cooper, had the class study genre fiction. She assigned each of us a Harlequin Romance to read. Mine was set in the Canary Islands and I couldn't wait to read another one. And another and another. I was hooked. Needless to say, I owe Penny Cooper a debt of gratitude. And yes, we do keep in touch!

After graduating from Stanford University with a degree in mechanical engineering, I worked for Allied Signal analyzing engine performance in Phoenix, Arizona, and my love of romance novels continued to grow. One day, I decided to write a romance of my own. Easier said than done I quickly learned, but I discovered the Desert Rose Chapter of Romance Writers of America and realized how little I knew about writing romances.

After three years in Phoenix (Tempe, actually), I began to hate the Arizona summers. Who cares if it's a dry heat? Anything over a hundred and ten is still hot. So I took at job at United Airlines in San Francisco. I was still analyzing jet engine performance, but now I had travel benefits. I spent five years traveling the globe. My love for writing romances also grew.

Writing became a passion, and the few hours spent at the computer during lunchtime and in the evenings weren't nearly enough. With lots of prodding and support from my husband of six months whom I met working at UAL, I decided to follow my dream and write full-time.

It was a good decision. My first full-time effort, FIANCE FOR THE NIGHT, was also my first sale to Silhouette Yours Truly. When I got the call that Silhouette was buying my book, I was pregnant with my first child. I was jumping up and down so much, my husband was afraid I was going to go into labor.

I moved to the Silhouette Romance line with my second sale, IF THE RING FITS. My daughter was three months old at the time and I was so tired I barely remember the phone conversation with my editor. Thank goodness my husband was home once again when the telephone rang or I might have thought I dreamed the second sale!

I sold my third book, THE WEDDING LULLABY, when I was pregnant with my second child and got a literary agent, too. I'm represented by Annelise Robey at the Jane Rotrosen Agency. I started hoping being pregnant wasn't a trend or a requirement for future sales. It wasn't even though we now have three children.

With the closing of the Silhouette Romance line, I was moved from the New York editorial office to the Harlequin Mills & Boon editorial office in London in May 2005.

I live in Washington with my real-life hero husband, two daughters, a son, lovable, but oh-so spoiled indoor cats and an adorable forty-eight pound Norwegian Elkhound who thinks she's a lap dog. I love to ski, rock climb and read!

Website

No comments:

Post a Comment