Sunday, March 18, 2012

Excerpt - Behind Closed Doors

I've been out of the loop a lot this week. March has been a little crazy on the writing front, and I completely missed the sign-ups for Flash Fiction Friday and Six Sentence Sunday this week. So to make up for it just a little, I decided to post a small excerpt from my newest release Behind Closed Doors. I hope you enjoy! :)


"Once they arrived at the hotel, he still appeared agitated, but at least he wasn’t using that angry voice that made her want to cower.

She didn’t know what to think. The safety she’d begun to feel around him had quickly changed back to fear.

Her mind was blank. She couldn’t think. So instead, she just let him lead her to wherever he was going. She remembered he’d booked them separate rooms, so she was hoping he’d just drop her off and leave. She’d figure everything out tomorrow. Maybe he’d be back to the Chris she was starting to like by then.

When they came to the room however, he told her to get inside and then followed her in. Her panic hit a new high as he carelessly threw their belongings by the door and walked toward her.

“Now,” he said through clenched teeth, “you are going to tell me what the hell is going on, and you are going to tell me now.”

“I—” Her voice shook as she back herself up against the wall.

“Now, Elizabeth.”

Her eyes filled with tears as she sank to the floor and curled herself into a ball. “I can’t,” she cried.

For a long moment, he was silent, and all she could hear was their breathing. Her mind raced with what he would do next. She didn’t think he would hurt her though. Over the last month, she’d seen how Chris dealt with stress, and it wasn’t by using his fists.

When he finally spoke again, his voice was softer, calmer. “Why not?”
“Because . . . because you’ll hate me,” she admitted."

No comments:

Post a Comment