Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Welcome Wednesday - Lissa Bryan

Today I'm welcoming author Lissa Bryan to my blog.

Lissa Bryan is an astronaut, renowned Kabukiactress, Olympic pole vault gold medalist, Iron Chef champion, and scientist who recentlydiscovered the cure for athlete's foot.... though only in her head. Real life isn't so interesting,which is why she spends most of her time writing.
Her first novel, Ghostwriter, is now available through The Writer's Coffee Shop (which isthe least expensive option), Amazon, iTunes, and Kobo. Her second novel, The End of All Things,will be released on January 24, 2013, and is now available for pre-order. Her third novel,tentatively titled Daughter of the Wind and Waves is in-progress.
 
 
 
1.       Have you always wanted to be a writer? How did you get started writing romance?
I always “wrote” books in my head, but I never imagined anyone else would be interested in them. I posted a couple of them online and was surprised by how many readers I had. Someone at The Writer’s Coffee Shop happened to see one of them and asked if I’d be interested in writing a book. Sometimes, it still feels a little unreal.
I write romance because it’s the richest aspect human experience. We see people at their most vulnerable when they open their hearts to another person. It’s something that deep-down, almost every human being wants, a deep emotional connection, a partner, a soul-mate. The problem is, not everyone is sure how to go about finding that special someone, and so there’s always a level of coflict that makes for interesting stories.
2.       Tell us about your writing process. Do you outline, or are you more of a seat of your pants type of a writer?
Most of my stories were “written” in my mind over the years. I’m working on my third novel now, which is the first one I ever tried writing as I go. It’s been a very interesting experience. I suppose I’m a pantser because outlines just don’t work for me, and my notes are usually tiny scraps of dialogue, or something I suddenly remembered, scribbled hastily before I fall asleep. And then I stare at them in the morning and wonder what a crypptic handful of words meant, provided I can even read it.
3.       Are there any romance novel cliché that make you cringe when you read them?
I’ve always disliked novels where there’s a misunderstanding that could be easily resolved with a two-minute conversation, but instead of talking about their problem like adults, the characters flee to Istanbul or something.
4.       What is the hardest scene you’ve had to write, and what made it so difficult?
Writing love scenes is very difficult for me. I once spent three hours on a two-paragraph scene. Maybe it will get easier as I gain more writing experience. I hope so.
5.       Which of your heroines would you say is most like you, and why?
That’s a difficult question, because while all of my characters have an element or two that’s similar to me, they’re usually very different from me. Sometimes, like with Carly in The End of All Things, they have traits I’d like to have, such as her hope and optimism, and Sara’s determination in Ghostwriter. All of them like to read; I’m not sure I could actually get inside the head of a character that didn’t like to read.
6.       What are you working on now?
I’m working on a historical romance set in the time of Henry VIII. If all goes well, it should be out in spring of 2014.
After a terrible virus ravages the planet, Carly Daniels, one of the few survivors, hides in her apartment in Juneau trying to survive the best she can with only occasional forays to gather food. With her is Sam, a wolf puppy she found starving on the streets. He becomes her companion and a reason to continue when giving up sometimes seems like the more attractive option. Still dazed with shock and grief, she hopes for the world to go back to normal soon.

She is discovered by Justin, an ex-soldier who is intent on making his way to Florida before the winter sets in. Justin coaxes her out of her hiding place and convinces her to join him on his journey, because a warmer climate will be their best chance against the extremes of Mother Nature.

Together, they begin a perilous journey through a nation laid to waste by the disaster. Challenges abound along the way. The weather, injury, and shortage of supplies all help to slow them down. In time, they discover that they aren’t the only survivors. Some are friendly but some have had their minds destroyed by the high fever. Then there are those who simply take what they want, leaving Carly and Justin with no choice but to defend what is theirs.

But their journey is not without joy and love. Together, they face every struggle, including an unplanned pregnancy. Despite the perils of bringing a child into a world of chaos, their baby is a new beginning for themselves and a symbol of hope for the other survivors they find along the way.

This is the story of their journey to find a place to begin a new life, and a home in each other.
 
Purchase Links
 

No comments:

Post a Comment