Wednesday, December 8, 2021

The Most Common Question I Get About Being An Author

There are a lot of things I love about being an author. The biggest one is that I get to put the stories that float around in my head down on paper. I love flushing out story ideas and seeing them come to life on the page. But when I meet someone new, or someone I haven't seen in a while, the question 'so, what have you been up to?' always comes up.

 

Every now and then I get that strange look along the lines of 'yeah, but what's your real job.' But more often than not, the announcement that I've not only written but published books, is met with fascination.

 

As the conversation continues, I'm almost always asked where I get the ideas for my stories.

 

I've been published for over a decade now. I've met my fair share of authors and we all pretty much have the same answer. We get our ideas from just about anywhere and everywhere.

 

Inspiration tends to strike when least expected. I was driving to a book conference when I got the idea for my military romance, Longing for His Kiss. A song came on the radio that talked about a soldier that had written a letter to his family. By the time the song was over, I knew the set up for the story.

 

That is the only time I've gotten a story inspiration from a song, but it was extremely powerful. I spent the rest of the drive plotting the details of the opening scene and how the characters would meet.

 

Like in the song, the soldier had written a letter. One that was to be delivered to his wife if he didn't make it home. He gave it to his best friend, a fellow solider, with the insistence that should something happen to him that his friend would deliver the letter to his wife personally.

 

Both the song and the story I wrote are very emotional. They deal with moving on after death. And in the case of my book, Longing for His Kiss, falling in love again after losing the love of your life.

 

If you're looking for a second chance at love, check out my military romance Longing for His Kiss.


Amazon | Apple | Nook | Kobo | Google

No comments:

Post a Comment