Friday, May 15, 2015

Ask A Character: What made you decide you could help Brianna better than a psychiatrist? #Stephan #FindingAnnaSeries

Ask A Character

This new addition to my blog will be a feature where the readers will get to ask a question to one of my characters and then have that character respond. Is there a question that has been weighing on your mind? Something you'd really like to know the answer to that wasn't answered in the book? Leave a comment below with the character's name and the question you'd like to ask. As long as there's interest, I'm going to try to post once a week.

This week's question comes from Dalia.

Character: Stephan Coleman

Book: Finding Anna Series

Question: What made you decide you could help Brianna better than a psychiatrist and how did you learn the psychological methods you used on her?

My decision to help Brianna myself rather than seek out a psychiatrist was solely based on the fact that I don't trust so-called professionals. The experience I had after my parents' death left a lasting impression. I remember how vulnerable I was and I knew that Brianna was even more so. There was no way I was taking a chance that some therapist would do to her what was done to me. She didn't need that. What she needed was someone who cared about her. Someone she could trust. I could provide that, and I did.

I wouldn't say I used psychological methods. For the most part, I just paid attention. It didn't take me all that long to realize that Brianna internalized when things became too overwhelming. I had to figure out how to get her past that. Getting her to talk about it not only helped her, but me as well. I needed to understand what all she'd gone through in order to move us both forward.


1 comment: